Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Magical Trio - Kabir, Abida Parveen & Gulzar

Bhagat Kabir Das is a revered 15th century Indian saint poet much loved for his mystic verses that beautifully embrace a simple, non-sectarian and egalitarian spirituality. Sikhism's holy book Guru Garanth Sahib includes almost 500 verses by Kabir. Gulzar (born Sampooran Singh Kalra in 1936 in Jehlum District in pre-partition Punjab) is a modern Indian poet and lyricist best known for his sublime poetic contributions to Indian cinema. Abida Parveen has been mentioned on this blog a number of times. Hailing from Larkana, Sindh (born in 1954) she is one of the finest performers of sufi classical music and is justly referred to as the Queen of Sufi Music.

Below is a soul-stirring rendition of Kabir's "Mann Laago Yaar Faqiri MeiN" by Abida Parveen. In the introduction in Urdu, Gulzar pays rich tributes to Abida's divine talent. Here's a poor translation of Gulzar's beautiful words: "Her voice sounds like the voice of all worship. When she calls out to the divine you think yes, this voice must reach him; he too must be listening to this deeply sincere, truthful voice."




Mann Laago Yaar Faqiri MeiN
Bura Bhala Sub Ko Sun Leejo
Kar Guzraan Gharibi MeiN

Mera Mujh MeiN Kuch NahiN
Jo Kuch Hai So Tera
Tera Tujh Ko Saunp de
Kya Laage Hai Mera
Mann Laago Yaar Faqiri MeiN
Aakhir Yeh Tun Khak Mile Ga
KyuN Phirta Maghroori MeiN

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sir,
I can't explain why I love to listen to Abida so much when I cannot understand the words. For some reason it brings me to tears. I am simply an American born and raised in Flint Michigan so I was not exposed to this sound. It actually annoys my friends and family that I must listen to her sing every day.
I wonder what can explain my reaction.

Fawad Zakariya said...

Patricia, she is a great singer and performer and even though understanding the lyrics does indeed increase the pleasure I love that you are such a fan of her music. No need to explain this to yourself or your friends. Music is a universal language and what feeds the soul should be done unapologetically. Thanks for visiting the blog.

Nikhil Shah said...

Thank you very much for this post! It made my day.

Anonymous said...

Shukriya, tah-e-dil se, for posting this wonderful music and poetry. I came to it quite accidentally this morning, and it was like divine guidance and solace for a soul seeking both. I cried tears of gratitude as I listened to Kabir's words so poignantly sung in Abida's soulful voice. Thanks, once again.
nighat

Fawad Zakariya said...

Nighat, thanks for visiting. Your comment was delightful and makes sharing these posts truly worth it.

Unknown said...

patricia...THANK GOD U DONT UNDERSTAND....IF U DO,U CANT BREATH,U CANT EAT , U CANT LAUGH....U CANT DO ANY THING ACTUALLY AFTER GETING HER MESG...U WILL GET THIS WORLD LIKE A DUNGEON FROM WHERE U WD WISH TO GET RIDE OFF...FROM 00mgasi@gmail.com

Sanjay said...

one of the best blogs. even I have same feeling alike Patricia when I listen to abida.her voice is beatific. and alike gulzarji says through her music she really connects to the God or of supreme soul and thus all souls who listen to her songs get the same feeling alike you.

MeThinks said...

Can someone please share English translation of the great wisdom of Saint Kabirdas ji in this beautifully sung song by Abida Parveen?